Antigua, Guatemala

Antigua, Guatemala

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 21, 2009

everything happens for a reason


there has been a slight hiccup in my trip as is evident by me posting from raleigh, and not nairobi.

in all my preparation for the trip, i overlooked probably the first thing i should have checked!  

my passport was expired.  there... i said it out loud.  my most embarrassing secret posted on the internet for all my friends and family to see. and although i was devastated at not being able to leave for africa, i can now say, with confidence, that i am glad it happened.  having to get a new passport did several things for me; it forced me to take a road trip to washington dc with my best friend.  even though  more time was spent in the car than in dc, it was a great day.  a day that never would have happened, had i gotten on the plane last saturday. but more importantly it showed me what an incredible family and group of friends i have.  feeling completely heartbroken about missing my plane and unsure if i would still be able to go to africa, i was surrounded and lifted up by the support and encouragement of my family and friends.  i can't express the incredible feeling of unconditional love.  everyday i feel more and more blessed to be surrounded by the amazing people in my life.  

whether it was to avoid a plane crash, political uprising, malaria, or to spend a little more time with the people i love before i leave, there is a reason i didn't get on the plane last saturday.  

i'm not longer sad about having to get a new passport, i'm grateful.  i want to go to kenya more than ever, and i believe that on monday i will fully be ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment